Indigo Spirit
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Indigo Spirit

A website and forum for those who wish to uncover the truth.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Instinct versus Judgement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Blue Water
Admin
Admin
Blue Water

Male
Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Instinct versus Judgement Empty
PostSubject: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyTue Nov 20, 2007 9:20 am

I’ve done some thinking and have realized that there is a difference between instinct and judgment, in terms of perceiving our environment and those around us. A person might perceive that there is something odd about Joe, and then judge that they’d ought to avoid him. But perhaps someone more perceptive but perceive that Joe feels uncomfortable socially and is keeping some conflicting beliefs to himself and this makes him feel rather awkward in a crowd. Someone with even less insight might simply see Joe looking awkward and either draw a conclusion which may be FAR off, or may simply realize that they have no clue about what Joe is about and assume nothing. A very perceptive person may look at Joe and see his discomfort and understand why, and by watching and feeling how he reacts to certain issue he/she may perceive what issues or beliefs he disagrees with.

The reason why I’m saying this is because I have noticed a growing attitude in society where everything is all right, and any negative perceptions about things are “just a matter of perspective” and should therefore be ignored. Some call perceptiveness judgmental, but as I have said above I see that judgment is an intellectual assumption around something that someone has foreseen (like sensing something in the fog and presuming it’s a ghost, or feeling a tap on the shoulder and sensing it is a friendly tap but reacting defensively because it seems like an odd thing for a person to do.) If we opened our eyes and trusted more in our higher/natural/truthful instincts I believe that we would be far more enlightened and live more naturally. I have noticed that my instincts never or rarely ever misguide me, while my judgments are often wrong. If you perceive that a group of strangers is a threat to you, but ignore this instinct because you think you should give them the benefit of the doubt, you are ignoring a truth that could really serve you to listen to. On the other hand, you could sense that a group of strangers could come in peace, and you might presume that because they are strange and do things differently that you had aught to be weary of them.

The heart knows wisdom that the brain cannot comprehend. The heart is a window to the soul, and glimpses into the intentions of others. Healthy and bright dogs can sense evil far more easily than most people, and to this I attribute their superior instinctual view. It is instinct that leads us to grow, create, and enjoy living it. The greatest things in history were usually accomplished by individuals who were quite instinctual. Instinct drives artists, thinkers, poets, and dreamers, not assumptions.

And so, we have two levels of perception: one natural and one self-developed. And yet people criticize the natural and praise the self-developed, even Christians who are supposed to believe one should not question God/the Light (the natural way of things.) Some don’t believe in judgment at all, and include natural perception in that category. But as I have said, I see that the two are separate although they work together. I believe that we follow a higher path by following our instincts higher, not getting bogged down in the mechanical workings of the intellect. There are things that we naturally perceive; such as danger, evil, loss, ignorance, and joy. To see these things, is not being judgmental, it is being self-aware enough to realize what you are connecting to around you. Should we not listen to what we are connected to, and what our heart tells us about these things? Should we not trust in ourselves, and in our own natural perceptions?
Back to top Go down
http://psyche.forumarena.com/forum.html
Goth_Ink
People's Champion
People's Champion
Goth_Ink

Female
Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 9:56 am

I think you have instinct confused with intuition. Instinct is a basic survival mechanism that evolved to ensure the strongest members of a population reproduced to keep the species alive. It is tied in to the fight or flight response which is managed by the nervous system, not necessarily thought. Perception does play a role, but you are still talking about a carnal reaction.

Judgement is tied in with ego, and not higher thought. Perception is when our senses pick up changes in our environment - like a set of gauges keeping track of variations. Our homeostatic responses constantly monitor and adjust the systems in our body in response to these changes to maintain our optimum functioning level. It is like an automatic pilot system that works without our conscious knowledge - eg we don't think about breathing, but we automatically keep doing it because it keeps us alive. Animals also possess perception, but it varies in range from humans, eg a dog can hear a much wider range of frequencies than a human, but they see a much smaller range of the colour spectrum (light waves). This is why when there is a spirit in the room, a dog will bark because it can hear what we can't, and see differently.

Instinct and perception help keep us physically alive, but intuition keeps us connected to our source energy via our higher self or inner knowing. The link between the two systems is the mind-body connection. Our true self - that is our soul energy - requires a vehicle or a vessel (a body) for its 4 dimensional journey on the physical plane. Part of the package of that vehicle is the human mind which comes equipped with an ego. Like a mirror in a car, it can be a useful tool for discerning information about 4D existence. But sometimes, eg when we spend too much time looking in the mirror and not enough time concentrating on the road ahead, it can interfere with our journey or even cause us to veer off course. If we chance to look away from the mirror and back to what we know to be the set course we have chosen, then our auto-pilot (intuition) kicks back in, and we are back on our path.
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Admin
Admin
Blue Water

Male

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptySat Nov 24, 2007 1:02 pm

Well put! I believe in the past I had argued that by saying "lower" and "higher instinct". But instinct and intuition works better.

Ok then, we need to let go and flow with our instincts...

Dancin
Back to top Go down
crystal sage
Squire
Squire

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyMon Nov 26, 2007 3:13 pm

If we could combine instinct..intuition.. perception...empathy...as our basic level of awareness we operate...maybe??? Basketball

Laughing I like you Emoticons here!!!
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Admin
Admin
Blue Water

Male

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 10:49 am

Thanks Crystal! CoolCat

And yes, we need to be all that we are. yet we need to flow with life. I suppose we could intellectualize this in different ways. Some say follow your heart, we're saying follow instinct. Joseph Campbell said, "Follow your bliss." Ghost
Back to top Go down
Goth_Ink
People's Champion
People's Champion
Goth_Ink

Female

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Hmm, I always see instinct as being linked to danger avoidance and survival in that sense. Intuition is more of a navigation device you use to make choices in your life that can be, but are not necessarily, linked to danger. Intuition can help you decide to choose the 10.30 train instead of the 9.30 train because your higher self knows there is a lady on the later train that you need to meet because she will be your future wife and you will have children together, one of which will become a gifted healer. That is an example of intuition. Now maybe your intuition tells you that you mustn't take the earlier train because something bad will happen on it - maybe an accident or a bomb. If you were about to get on the train, your instinct would not kick in to tell you this unless there was a physical stimulus or sign of the event - a strange package left unattended on a seat, or once the train is going a mechanical sound that doesn't normally occur. This would produce physical reactions in your body as the fight or flight syndrome kicks in.

Instinct needs a stimulus to perceive before it works. Intuition is always working. It needs no clues because it is not coming from a physical source. It is pure energy. It is our pure energy and it is connected to all the other pure energy in all things.

Flowing with life comes through understanding your choices and using your intuition and mind in a symbiotic way to guide you. Intuition makes you aware of the choice that most fits your purpose or 'what is the right thing for you' (kind of like a tailor-made decision-maker), but you still need your mind to put it into action or choose how to go about it. This is where the ego makes life difficult...lol.
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Admin
Admin
Blue Water

Male

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 8:54 pm

That feels a little over-intellectualized though. There is a higher intuition which can guide you through life without the need to think, realize or second-guess. But that link is easy to lose, then it's hasty decision making time. Instinct versus Judgement 83633
Back to top Go down
Goth_Ink
People's Champion
People's Champion
Goth_Ink

Female

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 3:37 am

Well I am a psychology student studying a science degree, Blue geek
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Admin
Admin
Blue Water

Male

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Oh yeah. What do you think of it? I used to read pychology and found it interesting.

So what kind of pychologist do you plan to be?
Back to top Go down
Goth_Ink
People's Champion
People's Champion
Goth_Ink

Female

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 5:35 pm

Not a scientific one! Laughing

I have actually just yesterday transferred to a Bachelor of Human Services majoring in counselling (still psychology but more hands on). The other degree was research oriented but I want to work with people trying to help them help themselves through tools that are not necessarily provided through traditional psychology.

Psychology is full of conflicting ideas. There is no one paradigm - it is only a young science, being just 100 years old. Before that it was just a bunch of different schools of thought with no cohesion. Now it is based on 5 main perspectives that still don't add up. I like to combine spiritual insight with scientific knowledge to form a more holistic view.

As you may have noticed, finding a balance is something I am still learning. I am trying to shake the habit of over-analysing everything. The most common thing that all my partners in life have said about me is that I think too much. Twisted Evil I agree. I never switch off.
Back to top Go down
Blue Water
Admin
Admin
Blue Water

Male

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 6:53 pm

Cool. Are there employment options for that kind of psychology? I've heard about it on TV. The Matrix of course would hate that kind of thing. When I was in high school that was the one non-artistic subject I considered taking (in fact I would have taken it but I was rejected by all the colleges in the country who offered it because I had General Math. I hated math, with a passion. And the idea of going back to upgrade my math, and then take math again in college, and to listen to boring lectures on subjects I had all ready studied for years (I was a brainy kid.) It just didn't sit well. Besides, fantasy story telling is my passion. alien

Well, I think you have a knack for helping people and would make a great councillor. You might spook some people away though. Instinct versus Judgement 83633 I mean, if you got too 'deep' with normal people.
Back to top Go down
Goth_Ink
People's Champion
People's Champion
Goth_Ink

Female

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 am

Well you don't come right out with the heavy artillery when someone isn't ready Blue! I am not going to tell someone who suffers anxiety that it is because the reptilians are causing it and yes there really are aliens here on Earth that plan to drink their blood! Sheesh - I would be committed myself! Reminds me of a psychiatrist I went to see once who asked me if I was hearing voices. When I replied yes, he smiled and said, 'So do I. You know what I do when I hear them? I invite them to come down from the ceiling and have a cup of tea with me.' True story. I never went back to him.

Employment is not my focus - helping people to help themselves is. When you create something useful and beneficial to others, then doors open and opportunity is there. I know that my path will lead me to abundance on many levels. I do not need to make fear-based choices, simply work from my heart. When you are drawn to something or find you love what you do, you know you are in the right place doing the right thing for you. I too have those feelings about writing, but I also realise that I can use it in many ways and haven't limited myself in that respect. Look at how many people our writing can reach simply by replying in a forum Wink

I don't really like labels either. Psychology is not all about learning how people think and behave. The degree I was doing covered physiology and data analysis, oh and don't get me started on the special writing style that all psychologist use called APA style! Maths figures heavily in psychology. I had the skill but not the passion. I want to work with people not numbers! I don't see myself as becoming a counsellor. I am adding to my skills of compassion and understanding for my fellow human beings in the hope that I can bring more positive energy through on this planet.

Ask me what I am and my reply will be 'human' Instinct versus Judgement 83633
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Instinct versus Judgement   Instinct versus Judgement Empty

Back to top Go down

Instinct versus Judgement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Indigo Spirit :: Mysterious Realms :: Philosophy and Metaphysics-
Jump to: